Saturday, August 21, 2010

I've found 3 ticks on my cat over 4 days, I pulled them off with my fingernails....?

....but where the ticks were my cats skin has swollen into small lumps? Is this normal?


Thanks.I've found 3 ticks on my cat over 4 days, I pulled them off with my fingernails....?
You need to twist them out but i am not sure if it's clockwise or anti clockwise but it must be done the correct way.I've found 3 ticks on my cat over 4 days, I pulled them off with my fingernails....?
You can't just pull them off. You tore their heads off and they are still in your cats body and can cause infection. You need to get a match light it and blow it out. While it is still hot put it to the ticks abdomen and the hot match will cause him to pull his head out then you can remove the tick. You need to take your cat to the vet to have the heads removed.





pj
It sounds as though you pulled the body off but left the head. It is not adviseable to put or burn ticks off. I would take it to the vet to get them removed and in future treat your cat with frontline regularly (which you should already be doing anyway!)
You shouldn't pull off ticks...parts of them can get stuck in the skin.





Your cat needs to go to a vet to make sure it doesn't get infected. Get it there asap.


Second, you need to put your cat on a flea/tick prevention. I recommend advantage or revolution. You'll need a vet's prescription for them.
If you pulled them off with your nails, you probably left the head inside the cats skin. This could become infected. Next time cover the tick in vaseline, because it breathes through its skin, so this will stop it breathing and make it fall out.
Well, usually your suppose to use tweezers to remove the head of the tick. When you pull off the body and not the head it regurgitates and creates the bumps. I'm pretty sure your cat should be fine as long as they weren't deer ticks.
yes it is perfectly normal and to make the swelling go down go to your local pet smart and talk to the workers and they can give you some meds for it and the can give you some thing for ticks
do you know if you got the entire tick? next time take a pair of plyers or old tweezers and grab the tick at the base and twist and pull them pop or burn the tick. get the cat flea and tick med. if you have ticks they will only get worse since its gonna get hotter.
you need to burn them and they unbury their selves. use tweezers and hold them in fire for a min then grab them and hold the hot tweezers on it before you pull it off .. good luck i had a kitten 6 years ago and when we got it it was outside and had them bad..
If you can't afford to go to the vet, just call one. I'm sure they will tell you over the phone. You should order Advantage or Frontline. That stuff is the best. My dog stopped scratching within a day when I put Frontline on her.
yeah because the ticks were sucking the blood in that area.


so yeah its ok for it to be a bit swollen.
You need to make sure you're pulling the head out. Then either flush them or burn them.
if you pull them off they poison the cat you have to get proper treatment for them
you should burn them first, too





*the ticks, not the cat





**unless you want to
ewwwwwww next time dont touch them take your cat to a vet.
thats because ur pulling them off wrong, u have to twist them off with tweasers
you probably left the ticks mouth in there. Michelle
of course it isnt take ur cat to the vet
no
go to a vet :S it's worth it, it is your cat :(

No comments:

Post a Comment