Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Purple fingernails and blotchy skin?

Im an 18 year old male who is pretty underweight. I'm about 6 feet tall and about 135 lbs. Whenever I get cold or nervous, my fingernails look purple-ish and my skin gets kind of blotchy. If I'm up moving around, they are red again, or if I'm not cold, they are fine. Or if i kind of move my hands around and rub my fingernails, they turn redish again. No injuries or anything, it's just been like that as long as i can remember.





Is this normal?Purple fingernails and blotchy skin?
Yes, it is normal...to a point. When your skin turns purple-ish/blue-ish, you are cyanotic. It means not enough oxygen is reaching your fingers, poor circulation...also because you are cold. If it happens frequently, this could be serious...I am only a Certified Medical Assistant, but I recommend that you see a doctor about this.Purple fingernails and blotchy skin?
Annie C is correct but has failed to mention that since you are underweight (which concerns me) you may also be experiencing some kind of heart problem or lung problem.


Everything returns to ';normal'; colors as you are up moving around and taking in more oxygen and your heart is pumping harder.


I really think you should see a Dr if you aren't already as I suspect that there is something going on and I suspect you already know what it is and you need to be addressing the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment