Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fingernails on a blackboard?

why do noises like fingernails on a blackboard, or cutlery on a plate, grate on our ears so much? and why do each of us have slightly different noises that do this to us?





also...does anyone else find these sort of noises linger in your mind, or something like that?Fingernails on a blackboard?
No known reason. There are a few theories.





There was a study that tried to determine just what was so disturbing about nails on a chalkboard. While the researchers didn't find a clear culprit in the sound, they determined that, contrary to expectations, the high-frequency, screechy components of the sound weren't the problem. Only when low-frequency, rumbling portions of the chalkboard-scraping signal were removed did study participants judge the sound to be less disturbing.Fingernails on a blackboard?
Yes its awful.Just you mentioning it made my teeth go on edge
For me it's the sound of people snoring.





Anyway, i think it's because of each individual's ability to perceive sound - a person who is irritated easily by some sounds could be said to have good hearing.
Yea-I know exactly what you mean. I need to make a conscious effort to think of something else-other wise it's like a paper cut on my ear drum. Another terrible noise I hate is the sound of a jagged fingernail getting snagged on nylons. AHHHHH.


Ok, going to my Happy place....
Hm, for me, the sound of someone else scratching a blackboard with their fingernails doesn't effect me. If I do it with my own fingernails though, I can't stand it. I have no idea why.
Oh yes they can linger in your mind, they do mine anyway. The nails on chalkboard bit don't mess with me too much, BUT, Styrofoam rubbing together will get me every time. No matter how good a mood I may have been in, it will put me in a really bad mood, especially if I know someone is doing it on purpose..
aarrgh that noise just does something to me it drives me arghhh my teeth i too have to make an effort to hink of somehting else
hebee jebee time uck!!!
those sounds dont really bother me, but my husband...thats how I get his attention. LOL naw but I think that the feel (vibrations) of those sounds bothers me more than hearing it.
yes i can hear it now just thinking about it, im cringing. thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment